Tips for Filing a Homeowners Insurance Claim

The Homeowners insurance claim process can sometimes feel overwhelming when you experience damage or loss to your home or liability. You may not know when to file a homeowners insurance claim, if there is a home insurance claim limit, or even what you can claim on homeowners insurance. In the middle of a stressful time, here are some tips to help you through the process.

Your policy will tell you what coverages, limits and deductibles you have, so keep a current copy. Your policy will also note limitations on certain valuable items. Reviewing your policy will be the first step in answering questions about your homeowners insurance claim.

If your home has been burglarized or vandalized, contact the police immediately. In Plumas Lake, you can contact the Yuba County Sheriff’s Department. A police report will be required to process your homeowners insurance claim. In Yuba City, you are able to file a report online if the incident occurred within the Yuba City limits.

After you have reported any crimes, contact your insurance professional as soon as possible about your homeowners claim. Even if you cannot find a copy of your policy, call your insurance company. Your policy may have a stated time limit for filing claims. Do not discuss your claim with anyone other than the police and your insurance company.

Keep the phone number of your homeowners insurance company where you can easily find it. There may be a toll free 800 number on your policy. Add these important numbers to your cell phone contact list. If you are unable to access your policy and paperwork due to a fire or other peril to your home, you will be glad that you have that information readily available. You can reach us here at Kearby Insurance at 800-251-0762.

Once you have reached your insurance company, be sure to review your coverage and liabilities completely and take good notes while you ask the following questions:

  • What are my responsibilities?

  • What is my time frame for taking care of these?

  • When will you send me claim forms?

  • When do I need to return claims forms?

  • What is my deductible?

  • When will an adjuster be scheduled to inspect my property?

  • What kind of repairs can I make?

  • How do I document the loss?

  • What if I don’t agree with the settlement?

Be sure to keep all receipts for expenses such as temporary repairs or housing during the homeowners insurance claim process, and always keep copies of any receipts submitted to insurance companies or adjusters.

Kearby Insurance has been covering Yuba and Sutter area families and homes for over 45 years. Our agents are fully trained to help you out in your most stressful situations, providing you with the best service. If you want to speak to an agent about a homeowners insurance policy, contact us today.


Posted on September 17, 2014 .